The purpose of this sources sought notice is to determine the interest and feasibility of businesses to provide Satellite Project – Independent Engineer, Board Observer, and Manager services. This sources sought is for information and planning purposes and is not to be construed as a commitment by the U.S. Government, nor will the U.S. Government pay for information solicited. The information from this notice will help the Export-Import Bank (EXIM Bank) of the United States plan their acquisition strategy.
The Export-Import Bank of the United States intends to issue a procurement for Independent Engineer, Board Observer, and Manager services for a satellite project and is seeking statements of capability from potential offerors.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL, NO SOLICITATION EXISTS AT THIS TIME.
The Export-Import Bank of the United States, Office of Board Authorized Finance (OBAF) Asset Management Division (AMD) & Office of Contracting Services (OCS), is conducting a market survey to determine the availability and technical capability of qualified businesses capable of providing Independent Engineer (IE), Board Observer, and Manager services for a satellite project.
As an IE, the Contractor shall provide services to include but not limited to technical support services and advice to EXIM Bank to assist in monitoring the ongoing operation of the satellite and related equipment, and to provide advice on technical and industry related commercial and financial matters that may arise while EXIM Bank is working with the current satellite company CEO and financial advisor to resolve its business and financial situation. As EXIM Bank’s Observer to the satellite company's Board of Directors, Contractor will participate in all board meetings and conference calls, review all materials delivered to it in its Observer function, and advise EXIM Bank with regard to the same. As a Manager, the Contractor shall manage the company’s staff and ongoing operations as well as work with a financial advisor either to restructure business or to sell its assets in the event that EXIM Bank chooses to exercise its right to assume control of the satellite company.
EXIM Bank’s objective is to maximize recovery on its loan by finding a strategic partner or buyer of the satellite company assets. The Contractor will be expected to act as technical advisor (IE), Board Observer, and Manager working in collaboration with EXIM Bank and legal advisors to achieve this objective.
Export-Import Bank of the United States, OBAF AMD is conducting market research to identify sources that can demonstrate their experience, skills, and qualifications with projects of similar scope and size completed within the last three (3) years, and explain in appropriate detail how they intend to demonstrate competency in each of the following points (A) through (D). Expound, utilizing specific examples, on how the company has undertaken and/or demonstrated the prerequisites listed below:
- Deliver technical and satellite market advice on all aspects of the satellite, ground system engineering, orbital slot coordination, and other assorted aspects of a satellite project, including related to continued satellite operation.
- Provide summaries and advice regarding Board Discussions and their impact on EXIM Bank’s ability to achieve a sale, lease, or restructuring of the company and/or the assets and debt of the company.
- Advise Exim Bank in its efforts to restructure or sell satellite company's assets.
- Conduct duties similar to a CEO including overseeing the operations of the satellite or a third party that may be contracted to operate the satellite.
Characteristics of the Requirements:
- 10 years of experience in working as an IE;
- Experience in restructuring loans to a satellite company OR experience successfully carrying out the above capabilities for a federal government agency similar to EXIM Bank;
- Ability to communicate technical and financial concepts including complex satellite operational updates, progress reports, and/or loan restructuring and asset sale;
- Experience with the Bulgarian or European satellite market.
Please submit the following information in response to the 4 prerequisites (A – D) and characteristics listed above.
- Interested Contractors responding to this market survey must provide a capability statement demonstrating their experience, skills and capability to fulfill the Governments requirements for the above. Contractors should also identify whether they are a qualified small businesses, including small business set-asides, small disadvantaged businesses (SDB), 8(a) small businesses, woman-owned small businesses (WOSB), veteran owned small businesses (VOSB), service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses (SDVOSB), and Historically Under-utilized Business Zone (HUBZone) small businesses in accordance with Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 19.502-2. The capability statement shall be in sufficient enough detail, so that the Government can determine the experience and capability of the company to provide the objectives above. The Government technical team will then assess the experience & capabilities based on: 1) technical expertise relevant to the objectives; 2) corporate/organizational experience relevant to the objectives, and 3) relevant past performance.
- Capability responses should be based upon the 4 prerequisites (A – D) listed above.
- Please specify one primary and one alternate Point of Contact (POC) within your business, including telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Identify if you have a GSA Schedule contract and if applicable, the contract number.
- Indicate whether your business is registered in SAM.
- Relevant past performance shall include the following information:
- Contract name
- Contracting Agency or Department
- Total contract value (in $$)
- Period of performance
- Description of work and how it relates to the requirements
- There is an 8-page limit on capability statement responses, but 1 cover page or 1 letter of introduction page and resumes and writing samples may be submitted and will not count toward the page limit.
- Use 1-inch margins (top, bottom, and sides) and Times New Roman font – 12 point.
- Do not include promotional materials.
Your capability statement needs to include a list of three customers (Government/non-Government) within the past 3-years highlighting similar work in nature, scope, complexity, and difficulty and a brief description of the scope of work.
Only electronic copies of capability statements will be accepted and should be emailed to: Robyn Moore at Robyn.Moore@exim.gov. The e-mail shall contain the following subject line: Response to Sources Sought Notice –83310121Q0014 & Satellite Project – Independent Engineer, Board Observer, and Manager. A determination by the Government to proceed with the acquisition as a set-aside is within the discretion of the Government. If capability statements are not received from at least two responsible small businesses or if the Government determines that no two small businesses are capable of performing this requirement based upon an assessment of the capability statements submitted, the Government may proceed with a full and open competition.
It is imperative that all questions and capability statements be sent via Email to Robyn Moore at Robyn.Moore@exim.gov and Thu Vo at Thu.Vo@exim.gov by January 6, 2021 at 2:00PM EST.
NO TELEPHONE REQUESTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.